Sunday, August 23, 2015

Key Lime Pie - I dare you to taste the difference!

Yes, I dare you to taste the difference!



Key Lime Pie




I love Key Lime Pie!!!  So I made a non-dairy, low fat version.  I dare you to taste the difference!  You can make it with the ingredients listed or make it totally Vegan by substituting margarine for the butter and totally vegan ginger cookies.

I like using the ginger snaps from Trader Joe’s – as they have pieces of ginger in them.  However, I’ve also used totally vegan ginger snaps that I bought from the health food store and the Pie turns out great with both of these substitutions as well!

I don’t use a whipped cream on top.  It’s high in fat and it’s dairy.  You can ad that if you wish, but the Pie really doesn’t need it…in my opinion.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees



Ingredients:

1 box of ginger snap cookies
1 half stick of butter or margarine
1 lb package of firm tofu
½ cup of Key Lime Juice (easily found at the supermarket, don’t use regular lime juice, it won’t come out the same)
1 cup of Maple Sugar (I order mine on line)
1 7” or 9” Pie Plate

Instructions:

Place the cookies in a food processor.  Process until ground down, add the butter, grind until it is thoroughly mixed. Remove to the Pie Plate and press down to form the crust.  Set aside.



In a high speed blender (Vitamix is incredible), place the tofu, key lime juice and maple sugar).  Start to process slowly, add the speed until mixed thoroughly and smooth.  Pour into the ginger snap crust.







Place in the oven for approximately 25 minutes, just until the mixture gels firmly and the crust browns (it will harden when cooled).  Keep an eye on the baking, and don’t let the crust to get black or burn.

Remove, let cool.  Once cooled, cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment