Saturday, September 13, 2014

Grilled Octopus...A Mediterranean Favorite!

My wife and I love Mediterranean Food, especially grilled octopus. 

It's particularly good on a salad or just plain.  The main issue my wife has is that...when I am serving it, she wonders what happen to 1/3 of it.  I tell her that it shrunk...but she knows better and realizes that I actually was nibbling at it!

This is an easy recipe, depending on where you buy the octopus and if it is cooked, frozen or raw.  It it's raw, there is another step, which I will also share.

If you're from the Bucks or Montgomery County, PA area, I suggest that you purchase the Octopus from Buckingham Valley Seafood;

http://www.buckinghamseafood.com

They're Seafood is incredible.  The Octopus is from Spain and is precooked/frozen.  Most octopus that you will get will be frozen, if fresh or not cooked, you must put it in a brine for several hours to tenderize it.

First make a marinade - 1/2 cup of Olive Oil, pepper, garlic powder, a little chipolte powder or hot sauce (if you like it spicy),  2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce.  Whisk all ingredients in a large bowl.

Defrost the Octopus, trim off any membrane.  Slice the octopus in 1/2 inch slices and place in the marinade, toss and refrigerate for at least an hour.

It's best to grill it on an outside grill, using the Grill Basket.  I place the Octopus in the Grill basket, then place that on a cookie tray to take to the outdoor grill.

GRILL BASKET


You must keep an eye on the grilling as it can burn easily.  Turn frequently until browned, remove, allow to cool------YUMMY AND ENJOY!

*****BRINE SOLUTION*****

Brine solution - Water, Salt, white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment