Friday, September 12, 2014

Yummy, Spicy...and valuable lesson learned

My wife and I love Long Hots!

They're great on Pizza, chopped up and added to a Roasted Corn Salsa, or as a condiment/dipping for meat, chicken or fish.

I use to cook them in a cast iron pan, on the stove.  OUCH!  The smoke, aroma, oil just permeated the house!  Coughing, eyes tearing...let alone my hands burned for days from handling/cutting up the peppers.

Here's a great lesson - learned.  This eliminates ALL OF THAT BURN, SMOKE, ETC.

First, I wear gloves (you know, the surgical kind.  You can get them inexpensive at a medical supply store or grab some at your Doctor's office [if you ask him nice, he may just give you some]).  This will eliminate the burning on your hands.  Make sure that you thoroughly wash your cutting board with soap afterwards!

Rinse the peppers in cold water, cut off the stem, cut the remainder in 2" pieces, then slice open to remove stems and seeds.  Place the cut parts in a large bowl of cold water - this will remove most of the remaining seeds.  When finished cutting up the peppers, pat dry, put in another dry bowl.  Add Olive Oil, salt, garlic powder.

Here's the next GREAT IDEA...get a vegetable/grill container that has a locking lid.  Grill them outside on the grill.  This totally eliminates the smoke, oil in the house.  I did it it worked for me.

After they've cooled off, with gloves, remove them and store in a sealed container.

This is the Grill Basket that I use...works fantastic!






No comments:

Post a Comment